Wednesday, April 6, 2005

On the Outs

I met a woman this week who was kicked out of the United Methodist Church in 1971. She was a pastor at the time. She had to leave because she practices a lesbian lifestyle...

Now she refers to herself as something of a heathen... She says her mind is open to different concepts of who God is.

I had seen her before and was really excited to meet her. From the bumper stickers on her car, I pretty much knew that she was:
Socially active for Women's issues
In a Women's Choir
Against Bush and the Right

So I liked her before I met her. Not because I'm active on women's issues, or in a choir, or against specific politicians and agendas. I'm not. my life is increasingly defined by what I'm FOR, or more specifically, who is FOR ME... That'd be Jesus...

You know about him? The guy who people who lived under the condemnation of religious institutions FLOCKED TO???!!
And here I am, honored to learn about this awesome, passionate, articulate, intelligent, brave woman's life and journey... How often do I get to learn about that journey from someone like her? She's a top figure in the communities that are called "deviant"... Communities that might have some "flockers to Jesus" among them, if He'd show up there...

1 comment:

  1. Good for the church.
    Good for the Church?? Aren't we supposed to love everyone? Yup, we are also supposed to throw out the unrepentant.
    Good for us. Becuase we get to love on somone who was (rightly) thrown out of the "ministry". That will be a strange episode; loving someone who sure doesn't deserve it. Kinda like Jesus huh?
    I almost feel like I have been baited; but you'd never do that, would you?
    Not a heathen, exactly, tho.
    -st

    ReplyDelete