Monday, October 25, 2004

This week, i looked at Moses a bit. He was very afraid and frustrated. Right in the beginning of his walk with God, God came to kill him because of something about all that. It's hard to understand for us, but I'm seeing it... in me.



I've been saying lately that Moses' life and service to God destroys the idea that if we serve God, we'll emerge "unscathed"... The terrible shock that we're wounded and "that's gonna leave a mark!"



Moses was definitely "scathed".



Jesus was definitely "scathed". So why am I still so freaked out when I get "scathed", even in the smallest ways? Why are you? We're growing up. It's time to pick up the cross. Pray it for me. Do it for you. Same here back atchya...



freak out,



Lew



3 comments:

  1. I saw you speak at GCF on two sundays ago. I am a student at Asbury College, and I was just wondering what kind of ministry yall do in Cincinatti? my email is jessewaylonconway@yahoo.com. thanks man, you were an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea man... scathed.
    You know what else I get confused about? People who say that "God will never give you more than you can handle." Would someone tell these folks that they should read the Bible?? God often gives us a lot more than we can handle... like a big 'ol honking thorn in the side. He likes to point out that his grace is sufficient for us; even when it gets uncomfortable.
    So I am not getting scathed; probably becuase I am not doing what I am supposed to be doing.
    Jesus likes to yank us out of our comfort, in a very regular way.
    -jjs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Often times our suffering is under our control. We suffer in situations becasue we do not handle ourselves the way scripture tells us. We do not let Truth sear our hearts and show us who we really are. Sometimes sitting back and waiting prolongs our sorrow, our suffering. Don't ask God to do what you should be doing. Fix the banister, Lew. Do the job with your whole heart as a servant to your family and without the approval or eyes of anyone. God and God alone is the one who will approve your efforts and judge your heart for it's motives. He will ask you if you have done your very best. Only His approval is what you need.

    ReplyDelete