Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Huge Snowstorm

As I write this, my Brave Georgian, Andrew, sits on a Metro Bus in Cincinnati, trying to get home. He usually is at the house by 345, running 5 blocks from the stop. It is 7pm right now. The snow has crippled the infrastructure, here, and there's no way to locate him, even if I were crazy enough to brave the other drivers' lack of snow-driving skill...

There are easily 4 inches down now, of fine powder snow.

A couple of hours ago, Judy asked me to go to "MELT", a local restaurant (excellent, classy, bohemian fare) to get her a sammich. I drove 5 blocks down, parked and walked around for it. I saw taxis and motorists revving their engines, spraying snow everywhere, desperate for traction... not comical in the least, though. People really, actually have deep issues with snowy roads, here in Cincy.

Slowing down. Shifting up at lower speeds. Tripling and Quadrupling stopping distances. Deceleration before taking turns and turnign corners... All this stuff is lost on half of us here in Cincy.
Emergency Vehicles are ploughing around from wreck to wreck. I heard the radio guy saying that if you have an accident, you can report it within 24 hours and it's okay if you leave the scene like that. That's how many accidents we're talking, here.

Fascinating. It's all really a social issue. Training. Not Rushing. I would bet that good old "GREED" is at the root of the issue. For sure. And FEAR.

whatever.

So there's lots of snow. The pipes have a new noise in them, but the heat's holding, here, too. I awoke this mornign with a bit of a belly-gnaw about that old boiler, you know? But tonight at 6pm, my buddy Adam, whose known me for like 7 years, now, calls me up and offers any of us who lose heat a place to sleep.

The Maineville folks are willing to evac our whole operation, if necessary. For the record--you don't have to move to the city to love radically. Just love radically. What a joy to know that I don't own this house, adn that there are other houses that I don't own that are equally mine, when there's need.

Thanks brother adam adn sister corey for the obedience, love and just plain sillyness that's gotten into you.

May all who read this be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment