Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Life is different, now...


I have been sick with withdrawal from caffeine, lately. You see, I pretty much mainlined coffee over the last three to five years. It's not hard to do when your occupation puts you at the table with folks in coffee shops...

I read a book a while back, called Nine O'Clock in the Morning. It was written by an Episcopal Priest during the 60's. Among the things he shared was how back then, smoking wasn't a big deal to anyone then. Christians didn't have any problems with it, and it wasn't rare for a prayer meeting to be full of the smoke from cigarettes.

I wonder if coffee isn't something like that. It's actually a very strong drug, you know? And its side affects, though well known for the most part (kidney problems, endocrine problems, sleep disorders, vitamin B deficiencies, etc...) don't yet seem serious enough to catch the attention of most folks...

I've been skeptical about coffee for some time, though I was addicted pretty badly to it. I wondered if coffee might not be behind a lot of health problems that affect men, namely prostate enlargment and cancer... Since coffee tends to be consumed in greater and greater quantities, it would make sense that it factors into negative health issues...

I've wondered about the studies that have come out about how good coffee is for us. There was a recent study in the newspapers here in Cincy that claimed that coffee was one of the ingredients of the American Diet that was richest in antioxidants. Well good. but have you considered the American Diet? Mine, until recently, included a few double cheeseburgers per week, too little water, and a LOT of refined sugar... In a time when the coffee industry has a lot to offer to the powers that be, I won't put a lot of stock in such "studies".

Coffee consumption (typical Starbucks-style) is costly. It is known that Coffee depletes vitamin B levels, and interrupts REM sleep. The idea that coffee is "good for you" isn't balanced. Caffeine intake also affects circulation. If you have a tendon injury, it'll heal much more quickly if you're not using caffeine. That's because caffeine is a vascular constrictor.

What about the heart? Using caffeine has been known to affect the heart. Seriously...
And the kidneys?
The brain? It's a psychoactive drug, triggering the release of brain chemicals...

Withdrawing from overuse of caffeine (using it as a drug, not a food) has taught me that this chemical has played an integral role in keeping me "happy" for the last few years. Coming off it has been like withdrawal from physical addiction to chemicals...

You know what's interesting to me? Coming off caffeine abuse has also saved money. Coincidentally, i haven't had any fast food since then, either. Think of the savings for my family. Think of the health of the boys...
This has also affected my impulse buying. I was so gigged out on caffeine that (i believe) my impulse control was compromised... I don't go for a "snack" at mcd's, or any other places, but am able to wait...

Headaches? Not too much. I got prayed for when they started up, and did a little fasting and they passed. I also drank mad water...
Other symptoms? Well, I had coffee dreams the first few days off. one was of my mom and she had this huge coffee machine--i mean it was SUPer! all the bells and whistles, and old school style, too... And i think she had had it installed in my home! So it was a really hard dream to want the coffee, and be like "well, too bad. at least it's a nice conversation piece."

I also felt depressed. Just depressed, like the world went flat. But now my energy is returning! I'm beginning to feel like myself, again...

It's funny, but there was a link between caffeine, fast food, and sugar. I took out the caffeine, and my whole diet and spending life is revolutionized! The savings are exciting, as we are trying to simplify our lives more and more...

For all those reading this, thanks for praying for Lew and Judy and the Boys. We love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment