Monday, March 6, 2006

i'd be catholic

did you all know that I spent a long time last year, looking into the Catechism of the Roman Catholic church... Being out here, without a denomination, or a "sending church"...

years back GCF in wilmore ky was our sending church. we still count them as such. They just never have managed to visit us or really connect with us in "action" in many ways... I did share a 4 minute "missions moment" there about a year back. That's one contact at a corporate level per 9 years, as I count it. It made quite a splash and i felt deeply loved with that kind of affection where you get remembered and you realize that there IS a place for you at this table...

I'm hoping that i can be connected in some meaningful way to the church in this world, y'know? is that so wrong for an urban missionary? to want someone to have his back? To have a place at the table?
every one of the urban black pastors has his own "sending church", forming and apostolic network among congregations. It's very...

The local Presbyterian church has offered me something interesting along these lines, recently. They have recognized who we are in Christ and have rejoiced to affirm us in the work of the Gospel...

I spent a while looking into the Catholic church because they are very humble, lately...
and they don't seem to "kick out" people who don't "fit in", like Saint Francis, columbus, et al...
they keep their own well enough...
and some of the best stuff has come through them... as well as the worst... sounds like the Bride of Christ... sounds like me... i can relate to that leprous history...

But i couldn't swallow several of the main doctrines that come from traditions that aren't propounded directly by Scripture... so i had to settle for being Catholic, but never "Roman". you know?

There's this thirst among my contemporaries, for the ANCIENT ways of the faith. There's a renewed interest in "The Fathers" of the faith. It's a good thing, but a lot of us get sidetracked into the traditions of men... sidetracked into superiorizing the traditions above Scripture and the Holy Spirit... into a "heady" faith, full of physical pieties, but compromised in the gritty deeds of love...

This is where i think of how i owe the Catholic church a great debt (or rather the Father in Heaven!--for all the examples of people radically devoting themselves to service to the poor... nuff said for now...

please be gentle in your comments... relax and breathe deep. i realize that this might rub some wrong on both sides of a divide... i love you all inChrist and am HERe..

2 comments:

  1. I want to acknowledge here my good friend, Dan Egan, who has loved me and patiently listened and reasoned with me as I journey. Dan, your patience and passion for my soul have blessed me. I have been loved by you.

    Your desire for me to live in fullness has bless me. Your honesty and admonition are with me today and I am changed by your attentions and intentions...

    Please hear in this blog post the seekings and yearnings that come from the kingdom born in an earthbound heart. I am deeply grateful for your efforts in explaining (very clearly) to me the rudiments and nuances (roots and clouds) of the catholic faith.

    Thank you, Erika Egan, for all the late hours that your man spent with me. your patience afforded me a friend for life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you, John Leyendecker, who have held my weakened arms up in the face of despair and fear... How can i thank God enough for His love to me-ward?

    If you weren't in Christ, you wouldn't love like you do... I pray that we all grow in our understanding of the catholicism of the creeds, as we walk in the Kingdom in our days

    blurring the lines was the crime of Jesus, no? His table fellowship was dubious, neh? So am i a dubious guest at your table, nah? My joy to so be.

    blessed are those who eat bread in the Kingdom of heaven...

    ReplyDelete