Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Daniel

Daniel is a fixture, here in Clifton (University ghetto-Cincinnati). Long hair, red. Surfer-style speech. Rings on all fingers. Occult symbols around his neck on chains and strings... All the people who are daily in this part of town know him.



Sometimes he's violent. Usually, he's drunk... This morning, he was soaking wet (only his right leg, actually), incredibly drunk, forehead bloodied by a blow. He smelled like garbage and beer. He slept in the woods.



He needs our help. He needs some fresh clothes and a shower, some money for beer, some cigarettes. He needs someone to sponsor his existence: bring him comforts when possible--lunch, cigs, cash, bus tokens...



...someone to love him to the place of trust, to meet him where he's at... to associate with him. Someone who gives without pushing...



...gives without pushing off, "now I've done my job."

...gives without pushing away, "take it and leave me alone."

...gives without pushing "I'll give if i think you'll change."



Someone who would just sponsor a life on the street. just come and love Daniel, every chance they get.



So far, he's jesus.



I recently heard from a local church leader how difficult Daniel can be when they're trying to have service and he's sitting outside the windows, mumbling and yelling in a stupor. Their best remedy was to invite him in.

I like that. It didn't "work". What is "work"? He yelled, got violent, whatnot. He's Daniel.



Well, the invitation to civilize didn't "work" (though I suspect the Lord is pleased with it). What about the sponsorship of his life? People hunting down the local poor to give them gifts! To provide for needs.



You know what Daniel needed today? He kept mumbling about candles and a radio. That way, when he sleeps in the park he doesn't feel lonely and scared, i guess. He didn't explain.

Candles and a radio... good idea, Dan.



1 comment:

  1. It's tough you know?
    "Sometimes he's violent..."
    You have kids, I have a pregnant wife; so it makes it difficult for me now. Six months ago, not so much; if he went after me, I could probably restrain him, and not hurt him (unless he is given extra strength by.... you know, breaking chains and stuff). If he went after K, I could.... well.
    But now, what happnes if he goes after her and nails her in the belly before I can intervine? What happens a year from now when I got a little one (if that's God's will) taking up both arms and he comes after me or my kid?
    So here I come to my first be trouble as an expectant dad:
    To what point am I responsible for the safety of my family / and at one point to I trust God?
    It's like Tourniquet once sang about a guy in a lifeboat for six days after shipwreck (lifeboat is leaking too)
    "But wait, on the horizon, land! Land Ho!
    Will you sit there and pray, or will you get up and row?"
    The life of a Christian, I am convinced, is part non-material, and part physical. Prayer and planting, often at the same time.
    But back to Mr. Daniel. I can't sponsor him into beer dude. I feel like it's giving rope and a rafter to a extremly depressed man. I donno, maybe that "comfort" would eventually bring him around into Christ; but underwriting sin? I can't see my way clear to that.
    What do a few candles and a 9V transistor radio cost? $10-15 tops?
    Let me know, buy it for him (if you have not yet) and I'll cut a check back to you.
    Anyway, the long hair and rings on all fingers has got to gather him a few cool points in my book. Which = street credit.
    And i need your prayer for me. The entire above rant about how scared I am; that's just a lack of trust on my part.
    -jjs

    ReplyDelete