Saturday, January 15, 2005

I'm Saaaaaad! You Made Me Saaaaad!

Seth woke up today from his nap (we saw the Spongebob Movie and he fell asleep on the way home) and proceeded to... well, he just moped, whined and cried and was really SAD...



You see, usually when Seth wakes up he's kinda ornery. "shubup girfrend!", "ba'hedd", "go 'way!", hitting with his cool wooden sword (thanks Robert Seifert from Germany for hand-crafting these wonderful battle implements for my sons. They're GREAT for boys and I love them!) It's cute, it's terrible, it's life here... Our girls are patient and take cover upon wake-up. Aaron grabs his own sword, or the extension from the vacuum, and I power up to lecture and put kids in their rooms...



But this was one of the sad wake ups. He was just SAD. Judy was dealing with him. I was restringing my guitar and trying to learn some new songs for our meetings... And I got sick of round after round of him being so whiney, so I told Judy to gently explain to him that he couldn't be all whiney, give him a snack and send him to play in his room... It's sort of that "I'm not gonna let this get to the point where I'm mad" kind of approach when there's so much going on. I don't know that much about kid-raisin' technique, but I don't let the boys push us over. I kind of insist on better behavior, y'know? Insistant instant inconsistent... anyway...



Sad.



Well, Judy didn't do that. And I love that. She did wiser, more graciously. She took him to the upstairs couch, sat with him, listened to him, held him... She mothered him.



"What's wrong?"



"I'm Saaaaaaaad! I'm Saaaaaad! You made me Saaaaaad!"



No explaination needed, Judy just held him and loved him and said, "Oh honey, I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!"



It didn't need to make sense. She didn't need to learn why, what or anything. She just loved on him...



That moves me. That hits me right in the deep needs of the heart. We all need someone to not care why, what or anything, but just to hold us and say "sorry", for nothing that they did but you were sad...



In the deepest of myheart, I'm sad, too. It's the planet. This hostile rock we live on where even the houses called Love's house are often cold and critical, fearful and unfaithful, has put the sadness in our deepest of hearts...



Romans 8:20

"for the creation was subjected to futility"



God did this. This is how it should be, so that we can know love, and hope for home! Living in hope.



Hope is blessed emptiness. Falling into a dream of the floor...

No comments:

Post a Comment