Thursday, January 25, 2007

Something I wrote to a guy from...

I wrote this to a local News Reporter who was looking into ways to help our friend, Chris Challis, who lived and died with us last year. I wrote this while Chris was alive and in need of living and grocery help.

I am still convinced that a clean place to live, and generous financial relief--relief from the stress of "where'll I eat?" and "how'll I survive?"-- would have produced a cleaner exit for our guy Chris.
You may know that Chris got back into the street life and got shot, shortly after pushing off the church here. He was under tremendous pressure from our local drug mafia thuggie guys. They would literally bust into his apartment. He relied on help from some local folks who used him despicably.

Chris was a fool. But he was God's kid. I miss him. About this time last year, he was making candles and talking crazy in my kitchen... Next month will be year one since his passing.

Here's what I wrote:

Hey M,

Thanks for the chance to talk, this morning. I'm interested in continuing the conversation. I would like to contradict myself. I kept telling you "it's nothing personal" as I called out the things that the churches in Cincinnati must repent of in order to live the Life.
I disagree with myself, now.

Helping, being friends and family with Christians who are "lost sheep", or not even Christians, yet... is very very "personally" important to Jesus. He has very deep personal interest in how his followers, those who are called by his name, "Christian", relate to/love their brethren who are "poor" and "lost sheep".

I know there are many different poverties in this world, but there is ample scriptural material available to prod us into a special sensitivity toward those who are believers, whose lives have been destroyed by physical lack, sickness, jail time, hunger, disability... Past foolishness and sin... You get it.

It is my belief that Jesus is personally concerned with how we, His people by name, embody his teaching...embody HIM to a world so devoid of a clear understanding of him.

In fact, today we heard about the "death of religion". (the church we were at had a series on called The Death of Religion)

"Religion" is a word to describe that false community construct that destroys love and squeezes the life out of belief. This kind of "Religion" is called "Christianity" but might be better called "Americana", "Nice-ianity", or "Church-ianity".

There is, however, a true sense in which the word "Religion" can be used to describe Life in Christ. The life of belief is found in obedient action. Action that reflects a heart of worship. Action that honors the person of Jesus. James says that "faith without works is dead". He also says that "...pure religion and spotless is this: that you care for orphans and widows in their distress, and keep yourselves from being polluted by the world."

Our Ignorance--Our constant ignoring of our neighbors and brethren--while claiming to "Reach" our city, is leaving our poor, disabled, disadvantaged, imprisoned brethren in the grinder. Our neglect of the values that Jesus imparted to us has caused the world around us to scorn God as we continue to live a "form of religion" that "denies the true power" of God. Take a good look at our new, multi-milllion dollar meeting place, while we struggle to redeem a struggling brother from the poverty that has so deeply marred his life...

This is all just basic Bible.
And it's deeply personal, to Jesus.

Romans 12 commands us to "associate with the lowly". I think that we're on the edge of a movement where people awaken to the power of their extra rooms and dining rooms... The power of their lives... The power of love...

Surely the Father of Jesus hasn't "REACHED" the world. He has LOVED it. He has GIVEN to it his only son. We who claim to "reach" should read again. And we are reading again, finding great power in fearless love.

A lot of people are ready for the next step, to discover Jesus among the poor--to befriend jesus, among the poor, the lost, and their neighbors.

What did Jesus do? He came down. We are to come down, too.

So, you see, it's personal, but it's not only to you and me, or chris challis. It's ultimately about Jesus, himself. All of this is personal to Him. So let's not be afraid to offend each other. Let's be afraid to offend Jesus.

I misspoke. It is all deeply personal.

Love in Christ,

Lew Ross

3 comments:

  1. Lew please stop using the second person possessive plural. The community of Grubby Kupp is giving to the poor and lowly rather than reaching it... If you want to make a valid attack against the current method of doing things do so (whole point of a blog, no?), but please don't be disingenuously "kind" by using the great word "we." You all, frankly, are not part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know what? I, and we the GrubbyKupp community, ARE a part of the problem. It is not in the least disingenuous to speak from that reality.

    Look at Daniel Ch.9. He includes himself and his generation with that generation of rebels that threw Jeremiah in a pit... The stark reality of the Church is that we really are all in this together. We are, together, the Bride of Christ, and that has tremendous impact on the framework for prophetic criticism in the Church.

    Any criticism that I can level can be levelled at myself. Romans 1 and 2 levels me. The thing I accuse others of, I do. And when I speak to the issues of repentance in the church, I am included.

    Paul did the same thing. "...do I not inwardly burn?"

    Nonetheless, I humbly appreciate your well-intentioned words, brother. I am really pleased to hear from you. Blessings on you and your ilk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin Wrote:

    "...to make a valid attack against the current method of doing things do so (whole point of a blog, no?)"

    you know, I have attacked current methods in my day. I have. And there are surely plenty of methods to provide me targets for later.

    but the point of my blog... the point of all this is to share encouragement with all of you. I hope; I sincerely hope that this blog emboldens others to GO FOR IT!

    How many times have we questioned the literalness of the basic, stark, commands of Jesus? Sell all, give to the poor, come follow?

    ...and how many times have we tried it out? I guarantee that anyone who tries it out won't regret it.

    I type this on someone else's computer, on someone else's chair, in a house that someone else put down 10,000 dollars, with a mortgage owned by someone else, driving cars that I have no earthly right to be able to afford...

    ...and the ground keeps appearing under this little family's feet, every day.
    walking on water with Jesus...

    And I want to share with everyone that the Gospel is a call to Live with Jesus... to live a life of radical love, depending on Him.

    I would waste all of our time if I dedicated this to attacking and destroying the wrongs of the world. Yes, I expose many things at many times, but my purpose is to bless and strengthen, ultimately.

    Lord, forgive me for the attacking and the judging that I've done. I want You to come and Build your Kingdom in me... then maybe you'll be doing something eternal through me.

    ReplyDelete