Sunday, March 18, 2007

One hour at the Park




Down the street two blocks is the Northside Children's Park. Seth and I go there now and then to play.
Yesterday we were there for an hour.

I played tag.
Pushed kids on swings.
Re-
connected with kids who've known us all this time.
They haven't been out much
since the cold set in...

When We'd been there for a few minutes,
a little guy, probably in the 5th grade, produced a 4 or 5 inch knife. I approached him and told him to hand it over. He passed it to his buddy. They passed it back and forth. Finally they listened to reason.

I dropped it in the sewer.

I made sure to tag that kid and include him in the games, showering blessing and fun on him. It warmed him up just fine.

Then, about 30 minutes in, we were all getting our hats stolen and chasing each other and one kid got mad, grabbed a crutch from a little girl whose leg was injured, and proceeded to pursue and menace the kid with his hat... or was it a shoe?

I don't remember, but I do remember that when he was swinging it around I grabbed it and told him to cut it out or leave the park. I was a grown-up. It takes a village.
Was that little guy going to pull a gun?
Were his family bangers who'd cap me on the way home?
I can't care about that.
I have to add a drop of Father to this 'hood while I live.

That boy left and returned with a big piece of lumber, which he menaced with. I took it again, and sent him off. He left uttering terrible threats about killing and shooting and what his cousins would do...

So that's how we played yesterday. Not a single parent around. Not a single supervising adult, outside the dope-boys on the corner.

Hey, if you're a pastor, or a church person, and you read this:
We need actual help.

The roof leaks.
Our people live skinny, without money enough to take the time to work the fields of the Lord without suffering loss in their family income.
These fields are ripe.
Why don't you help support the work in the field, so we can be more available to minister to our neighbors?

1 comment:

  1. How heartbreaking.

    Lew, where do you live in Cincy? My wife and I have thought about that area now and then as I look into taking a first call with the Lutheran church. We like a lot of what is there, and we want to live in an urban neighborhood like what you're describing (which is the sort of place we now live in St. Paul).

    I'm just kind of going down the list of your posts because my laptop has been out of commission for a while. Good to read your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete