Friday, January 9, 2009

Shifting...

an admission:

i have "quit" reading scripture.

I say "quit" because it has mostly felt like that, not really been that... what i mean is, technically i still do read the scriptures, pretty much daily. I open them at some time or other and bam, reading done.

but i used to really read. I used to get up early and spend 2 hours just soaking the old noggin in holy writ...

And I loved Jesus. Nothing I did wasn't inscribed with His name. You could see it written on my forehead and my right hand that i was a servant of Jesus... you could see it a mile away and hear it within the first sentence when you met me. I even burrowed into professional religious communities and jobs because of my knowledge and devotion...

a lot of things have ended in regards to that... I get sick at the thought of offering good news for money, but my friends help us live here with their gifts. Jesus has become more precious to me than I could have imagined, but my "expert" life has fallen to pieces. I have decided to live from who I really am, loved by God, as a person-being-rescued-by-Jesus, and that has made all the difference...

So instead of reading a lot of scripture over the last year, I've been remembering a lot of it. Sometimes it overwhelms me. It comes in waves, every day, like when I wake up. And it is amazing...

I quote a lot of it.
I contemplate it...

and my earthly days get more and more invested in non-religious directions (like my involvement with the skateboarding industry), yet more and more full of JESUS, Himself...

i don't know guys. i still love to read the scriptures, and i still really urge christians to do it a LOT (o god please help your kids get their heads right). But the fallout of all that scripture reading for me is that Jesus has brought us good news: God really really does love us. He really does.

And that amazes me...

No comments:

Post a Comment