Friday, November 16, 2007

Believer because its easy...

Last night, at Men's Table, I ruminated for a moment on the peculiar fact that I believe. Yes I do. Not everything, that is. I don't believe just anything, but I am firmly set in my beleif in Jesus...

that is, I trust Jesus. I trust the Bible. Unquestioningly. How peculiar! I'm kinda skeptical about all kinds of things, but Jesus, His resurrection, the Scriptures' historicity and reliability, the Miracles of the Holy Spirit... they've got me.

I believe. Its easy. I believe. And I trust. I trust Jesus to care for my good, today. Whether for ease or discomfort, pleasure or pain, health or sickness, strength or weakness, His plan is for my good. I trust His heart. He won that trust on the cross, atop a hill that looked like a skull...

I believe He rose from the dead. There is a ton of legal/historical proof that is overwhelming to the honest skeptic, but my belief doesn't find it's genesis there. I believed when I heard for the first time, the teachings of Jesus. I felt Him present in that moment, those moments.

In a big room, in the Hudson Valley of New York, in a monastery, I, a skinhead punk from the suburbs, got interrrupted by the Holy Spirit as I heard the Answer to all my questions. Jesus is that answer for me. For you, too, if you will believe...

If you will believe. If you want to believe.

I was utterly changed when I opened my heart to Jesus. And I changed many things, too.

Because I believe like this, sometimes I obey. sometimes I obey a lot. Sometimes I obey dailiy, denying myself and taking up the cross, following in the steps of the master... Sometimes I deny myself daily and actually walk in the Holiness that love alone can work in such an unruly one as me.

So I keep spiraling upward on the Wind of belief, trust and obedience, even as I mourn over my sins and disobedience.

some thoughts in a moment for you, dear ones.

2 comments:

  1. It's easy to believe our friend, our brother, our master, our Lord, God, savior! Once he reveals Himself, and we know Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen. what do you all think of when Jesus says, "you didn't choose me. I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will last, and so prove to be my disciples."

    ReplyDelete