Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Poor: Becoming them

you know what? one of the most difficult things about what Jesus says about the poor is that we'll become them...

look at the loss we'll suffer:
sell all, give to the poor, follow me...
love your life in this world? Lose it.
poor are rich in faith to inherit the kingdom
rich get in by a miracle of God-very difficult for them
poor have high position
woe to rich
blessed the poor...

look at the teachings of the master. Why do we cling to wealth? we do.
stop.
don't.
cling to the cross...

aah the cross. There's another thing. Not just His teaching, but his example. "He who was rich became poor so that we, through His poverty, may become rich..." look that up. someone tell me what scriptures I'm speaking from...

Jesus modeled the "downward mobility" of becoming a leaf on the wind... even better, the Wind itself...
isn't that the basic teaching of the kingdom he gave the old religionist in John 3? That those who are really Jesus people: born of the Spirit... that they're like the Wind. Not a leaf. The Wind.

Are you like the wind? or are you attached to this world in your heart. Lay it bare again, today, before the Master and make a fresh 100% surrender.

3 comments:

  1. "I speak not by commandment, but I am testing the sincerity of your love by the diligence of others. 9For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of "He who was rich became poor so that we, through His poverty, may become rich.." as I was speaking to the admissions officer at Antonelli... I was in the "sophisticated" mode I can pull out and said something about being "faithful" with the talents given me...all this bettering myself makes me sick.

    "associate with the lowly"

    ReplyDelete