Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Poor: Matthew 16

Jesus rebukes peter here because he had in mind the things of men, not the things of God.

Peter had something in mind that was ostensibly good: the life of the Master.

But although it was ostensibly good, it was not good.

It was fundamentally evil. Jesus called him "satan".

So we see that it is possible to have in mind something we see as good, yet to be fundamentally evil, because it is the "things of men, not the things of God." Amazing. Gives one pause.

I call this "things of men" attitude: Androcentrism. Centered on men and the purposes of mankind. It plays out in all kinds of good-looking altruism and philanthropy.

We are called to "Christocentrism". We are called to hear Jesus say, "I'm going to go and die and be raised" and say "Good. You are good and we trust you and we hope in the fulfillment of your words."

Now if I had been peter, I would've done worse. But I'm not him. i'm me. I don't live then. i live now. And I have seen by faith something that Peter didn't get to see until after that day, so I don't have to make the same mistake...

This "androcentrism" is at the heart of a lot of "good" things that lead us astray.

1 comment:

  1. ArchBishop Fulton Sheen said that anything that keeps us from the cross is Satanic. - In reference to this verse. I have seen also that Jesus was offered all the Kingdoms of the world Matthew 6 (which is what his goal would be) but that Satan offered it to him without the cross. Which of course our Lord rejected, as should we.

    ReplyDelete