Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Laptop

Yeah, it's an interesting story about my laptop.

learning that I'm a tecchie, you might envision a guy who spends a lot on his toys. I guess I have. Just nowhere near what you'd have to normally.

but a lot is a lot. time, especially. I've learned that time is worth more than money.

anyway, I got a steal on my laptop. I found an apple at my shop-- laptopworld.com for 999. I talked them down to 750. sweet. tha was a year ago, while I was teaching french at the co-op.

It was a great deal. I bought the Laptop for 750, service for about 50, and a RAM upgrade to make it faster for about 100. 850 total.

I especially liked the service thing. They totally guarantee the whole thing, including the screen! Better deal than anywhere... I was really high on Laptopworld.com...

So, Poor Zakky's computer needed a hinge replaced. I naturally sent him to LaptopWorld.com. Who wouldn't.
two weeks.
no sweat.

at five weeks, they told us it would be done in a day or two--it was on the table...

at 8 weeks, they told us that it would not take much longer.

at 10 weeks, they told me that for 100 dollars, we could have it back with a partial fix, but still in two pieces.
otherwise, it would still cost 75 dollars.

then a hinge broke on my apple laptop. then the cdrom stopped working right. all this in addition to their refusal to repair a previous problem...

actually they didn't refuse. they asked me to please not insist that they fix it... sad...

soo. I broke down and brought my computer to them, pertheir request, for evaluation. The owner is in charge of it. Nobody else can tell me anything about it...
No calls back.
No information
no documentation
nothing...
3 weeks.

850 bucks... interesting.

It would have been better to pay a thousand at th apple store for a computer that wasn't five years old,
that wouldn't break as soon
with backing by a reputable company...

caveat emptor!
let the buyer beware...

well, that's that story.

now there's the whole questionof how to get refunded, or to get the repair done... Now that this is happening again, I see that LaptopWorld.com is a business in trouble.

Pray for me that I wouldn't shame our Lord in how I handle this.

1 comment:

  1. Lew, Lew, Lew...

    My, it's been so many years. My friend Aaron Klinefelter referred to you in a post, and I thought "Could it be???" And it is, as it turns out. I hope you're doing well...I'll poke around your blog and read about what you're up to these days.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete