Saturday, April 29, 2006

Preaching to High Schoolers: CCS

Friday, I went to Aaron Klinefelter's Bible Classes at CCS...
the first class had really sharp students in it. I loved their hunger for God and great, challenging questions. Rebecca blew me away by pointing out that it doesn't make much sense to hear "sell your suv" from a guy with an apple laptop. Sweet. I don't make much sense, at first glance. I know. But the truth is truth, and I'm what you got.

The second class was different. Also very great youngstertypes. One super intelligent girl asked for an explanation about hell. So I painted my cosmology of hell on the whiteboard. Took over 20 minutes. Had flaws. I was honest that not too many people see it that way, and that I'm not theologically trained at a seminary. It was fun.

The Students were GREAT. They made me feel so welcome. I was amazed at how cool and gracious and willing to follow along they are. Aaron Klinefelter, thank you for asking me to come. It was a great, safe place to work out some of how I speak. Make sure the students get that list from Sider, too.

I was real hard on hell, in reference to Matt. 25. Sorry if it blows away some mind material. I'm really sure that Jesus can save us, though. Nestle in Him.

1 comment:

  1. Lew! Hi, Jenny from the Rohs Street cafe here. remember me? yes...no...maybe? anyway, i ran across your blog once again, and am amazed at the small world we live in; I knew Aaron Klinefelter from when I was in youth group! (You should ask him what his nickname for me was, not flattering! haha.)anyway....kinda pointless comment, just thought it was cool.

    ReplyDelete