Thursday, April 27, 2006

Last Night's Funeral

I look forward to posting about other things, but I want you all to know how strong and blessed last night's funeral was. I'm serious. There was power among us as we took headon the one reality that this culture of greed works to keep from us. When I got up this morning I felt like a younger man. I'm so glad that Jesus loves us. That's all this day is for.

Judy's was kind of worried about me having these funny lumps all over the place: my arm, my leg, my hip, my belly... they've all popped up in the last couple years... I'll head off to the doc sometime soon. For those of you who don't know me, I'm probably the most ready for cancer guy around. Following Jesus, I've realized that we all pass on. I am pretty sure that it's not cancer, not that I can know anything about it. I just don't mind if it is cancer, knowing that if it's not one thing, its another. We all get sick. We all die. We all are weak.

Our best days come in the middle of the Father's discipline. I need His discipline. Suffering does a work in us. Peace comes when I'm out of the driver's seat, finally... Crushed petals. Steeped leaves... Pleasant Aromas.

Judy just got a skin biopsy on this spot she's been keeping as a pet for the last few years (try 5). We'll hear back on that one soon. I guess we're in a kind of a race. Hey, if we were to die young, wouldn't all you radical Jesus Freaks watch over our sons and make sure they don't just go to college, but that they get down to Louisiana and over to Africa to serve Jesus and do the messy radical?

I like to think that Aaron and Seth will grow up under the influence of JP and Prari, Zach and Laurel, and Chris, Sheena, Smitty, Lawless, etc... I'm kind of depending on you guys to get really radical and follow the Lord with reckless abandon.

Of course, there's no use in trying to figure out anything about the future. We are a mist, a seed of what we will be. We are Glory contained in Kupps. Our bodys are referred to as our tents, our Jars, KlayKUPPS, Jesus says we're clean, but need our feet washed.

Yes, surely one day I'll put off all this coolness and grooviness in which I'm wrapped. You should see this beard, man. It's easily 4 inches long, now. I'll put it off. Skateboarding. Guitar. Songs. Writing. Speech. Prophecy... all that will remain is what I have done in Christ. And that itself will be hidden for the time being, until He returns to Judge and straighten out this mess...

I love you, Jesus.

You read back a while and you'll see that I've had this thing about death and suffering going on for about 17 years. and LOVE! and JOY!!

There is such a love at the end of this life. Jesus calls us to carry the cross, dwelling at the end of this life, daily. There is such a joy in the surrender of death--each day a practise run for our deathbed.

Frankly, my practise runs go amiss quite often. I'm depending on the work of the Cross to atone for me. But I'm also depending on the work of the Holy Spirit to change me. It's really true around my kids and wife. I just don't love. Not easily. Not naturally. But I'm growing. And I'm loved. I'm so loved... the more I drink in that love, the more loving I become.

It's our best to dwell at the foot of the Cross, kissing mercy as Jesus wins righteousness for us, satisfying God's Justice.
[CLICK THE TITLE FOR A SCRIPTURE ABOUT THIS]

That is our best, to confess our lives, recline on Mercy, and be driven by the Spirit through this bedeviled desert of a life... Surely at the end, angels do come and minister to us...

No comments:

Post a Comment