Saturday, April 15, 2006

Update

I finally got through University Hospital's protective privacy measures to see Chris Challis, yesterday. He is in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit. He was the reicipient of one gunshot Wound to the belly. His liver was lacerated (shot up). He is unconscious, with many tubes, IVs and all manner of monitors and whatnot. They are taking great care of him there. Their privacy policies have been fair, and their protectiveness is really a sign of the excellent care that they practise there.

Now, a number of our poeple are on the list there, able to visit Chris. Adam Waters of the Orchard, up in Maineville, and I prayed over Chris for healing and restoration. We're asking that he be restored to Christ, above all-- that he would fully surrender to Jesus' winning love and call. What I mean is that Chris turned back to the drug world, and his apartment became, once again, a center of evil in our neighborhood. We were forced out of his life, and have been praying ever since for him to turn back (or maybe for the first time, really) to christ and follow.

All of this makes us all think of our lives and how we sin daily in many ways, not all small ways, either. Romans 2 was on the table this morning in our community. Read it and pray mercifully and thankfully for all of us and for Chris.

When the News 12 guys were here, they asked me if I'd say a few words about the Prodigal Son. I was stymied. I literally was at a loss. I tried to see an angle on it, but all I could say was somethign like;

We don't see Chris as a prodigal at all. We see ourselves as prodigals--all of us--coming home, together.

I'm nobody's father! They're not my sons! I'm the brother who has a choice to rejoice at the lavish love the father has for the prodigal. Luke 15... what?

1 comment:

  1. Since there is a list of visitors, I guess I can't visit him huh?

    ReplyDelete