Sunday, May 14, 2006

Like Birds in a Gilt Cage (gilt means gold covered)



I'm at XChurch today. I walk in, feeling sick at heart that I'm here in this place--in so many ways a monument to American Material Religion... This is us. We are the church. I am one with this people. We are in this together... there is no "us" and "them". We are wrong. We must repent. I don't remove myself from you if i repent... I join the heart of Jesus' love for you...

Here I feel the call of the Father Hen, to his chicks to come home... Word of God is often softened here, deprived of its nutrition. The Body is sick and weak, and many have fallen asleep because of the way the Word is handled here.. Here, if John Wesley, Jonathan Edwards, or the Apostle John or Paul, especially jesus, came to preach, the people would be almost completely unaccustomed to their terms... intensity of conviction--the preaching of repentance, renunciation, poverty, suffering without reference to how it "benefits me", is not allowed by this ethos...

Such Grief. Such Love. Such danger...

And as Seth and I walk through the doors, Luke 12: is up on the board... Jesus is talking about fear. Jesus is talking about Hell. Reading the words of Jesus that tell us to fear the One who kills and damns. and i hear the pastor (a better man than I am--i wish we could share a table) backpedaling, the apologizing, the rationalizing has set in... the ethos is in place... and before long I'm out of earshot... I'm at the child care kiosk. I ask the lady behind the desk, "Did you hear the message? What was your takeaway? was he talking about hell, there?.."
he had heard the sermon before, so she answered that he wasn't talking about hell, and that her thoughts were about her own, deeper fears (pet sin), not the fear of God, Himself. This most definitely wasn't about being afraid of Hell...

I get to the coffee guy, W. He is a friendly and open man. He tells me his takeaway isn't about hell, or punishment at all, but that God doesn't operate on fear... Wes and I talked a bit longer and I tried to throw him a bone about Kingdom, Kingship, fealty, and Lordly love for the faithful...

I shared with W about the Wrath of God, from John 3. I talked about how Jesus wept over Jerusalem--how he longed for them to gather as chicks under the wings of a hen... How the wrath of God (Romans, Ephesians) hangs over mankind like a huge stone cave roof--one that is going to fall.

I told him that we're like a people afraid of the sky. Jesus is standing outside, calling us into the light, into truth, into exposure... We fear that, and our fathers died in this cave, so we're not coming out... except for a few who "get it"--who "got it" because it was given to them... I talk about the cost and rewards of discipleship--friendship with the most humble king ever...

Now I sit here, having left Wes. I am drinking my coffee... Their Qoheleth is telling them to "push that off" Pushoff that fear... i just can't believe the sight of 2 thousand people a pop, three services long, with volunteers having heard it last night--all learning to NOT fear the Father...Not to fear That Day... not to tremble at His word (Is. 66)
The teaching is to Fear God inorder to improve your life, to live in freedom. To have a happy, healthy life... To have self-realization. The gospel is couched in self-gratification, not the Glory of God.

Yet there is a humility here, and a hunger. a Hope that Jesus is on the move here... a potential that is punching out in lives... Praise the Father who is faithful to us, though we are unfaithful to him... We are Laodicea of Rev. 3. He loves us, and is calling us to Him, for his glory, at the cost of this world, and our very lives. Let us go then.

This isn't just this church. Jesus loves this people. Jesus died for them and he won't be deprived of them, either--of us... We are America's Church. This is what happens when we get rich.. When we think we're okay, now. When we are unrestrained in our ambitions... when we grow fat and hungry...

I'm working really hard, daily to show love and truth to the Church.

I'm not bitterat least not in a way that Jesus wasn't, that the Father isn't, that any of the Bible Guys were... Before you consign me to the ranks of disgruntled guys that just don't play well with others, soak your head in the Scriptures... Read about Elijah... aaaah, that's my problem? That I actually believe in all that? Mercy!
Read of Ezekiel, Jeremiah, Isaiah--their bitterness, and God's bitterness...

I'm broken. Christ is broken. Hear it!
We are Laodicea!

We need the desperation of penitence! We need the awareness...no, the amazement of Grace! We need it despite preachers who teach out the utter sinfulness of US and the utter holiness of God. don't live in mediocrity and loneliness for Him, and Mature in righteousness, wisdom and service. Let the Fear of God take root, cause mourning and poverty of spirit...

9 comments:

  1. its funny when you are stumbling around in the dark any light no matter how faint can be seen maybe that is what is being seen and this place the hope that God is really around not the words given too much importance because they uttered from a stage surrounded by thousands of people sitting in the dark watching the illuminated speaker espousing one way or another maybe its in the hope you see there and maybe just maybe that is the brightest light in that place and people see when the stop and listen to their neighbor and feel their fear/pain/joy. we must live in fear but not a cowering timid fear a fear that their is one who is greater than we can ever be and that one is the source of all light no matter how faint or colored. i truly enjoyed reading this post my friend and i long for a place where people get blinded by GOD's light and need his eyes to see not their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luke 12.
    It's blasphmey against the "cheeps Jesus" of american easter.

    -jjs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss the days when the gospel was simple...

    repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is near

    repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sin and you will receive the gift of God's Holy Spirit

    i came to you in weakness and fear and with much trembling... i did not use wise and persuassive words, just a demonstration of the Spirit's power...

    we preach Christ crucified... foolishness to those who are perishing

    GO!!!!!!!! teach them, baptize them, equip them and I'll go WITH YOU...


    Now, when I get the chance to visit other churches I learn how to manage my portfolio, which psychiatrists are the "chrisian" ones I can take my kids too, and I get to sing the national anthem or say the pledge to the god of the good old U S of A...

    I think that's why we meet every sunday now, so that I don't have to go and listen to how ... i'll quit

    love ya lew

    ReplyDelete
  4. first, I'm suprised i'm not being accused here. thank you all for hearing with generous ears and gracious tongues. I have no interest in dividing. I am ONE with the people of all the churches who seek to serve Jesus... we are in this mess, distinctly TOGETHER...

    next, I re-wrote this post like four times. At any given moment in its first 24 hours, it could have been changed. Now it's final. before the first comment it was final... but this is the kind of thing I write with trepidation. Think of Jeremiah's love for Judah, how he must have grieved when the Lord said to stop praying for them... I pray we don't come to that here...

    also, i agree with adam--yet I ask: "were there ever days when the gospel wasn't simple?" the gospel is the same now as always, and those committed to it break with the predominant religious structures of their day just like the Master did with his... in humility, with a broken heart, he held out his hands to an obstinate people...

    ReplyDelete
  5. as long as there are people involved, no church will be perfect. but "X" church (whose pictures are easily recognizable) has been a godsend to many of my beloved friends and family. a very dear friend of mine and his wife used to be adamantly against all forms of organized religion. but after going to X church for a couple of years (which says a lot about that church, that they would keep going that long)they are now dedicated Christ followers who tithe (more than 10%) and are now considering packing up and moving to South Africa after a mission trip with X church. this is only one story of countless others i could share with you about lives changed through X church.

    so while you may have a speck to pick with X church, please remember that God is actually working there. in fact, i know that X church has provided for your very own community in Northside as well.

    one more thing...perfect love drives out fear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ouch. point more than taken. I'm pinned. I'm dead. I'm guilty. it's just that this IS us. this IS we. we are the church, the bride... and this IS us. I bet that the brothers and sisters there agonize in exactly the same way.
    i don't mean to set myself apart from my brothers and sisters. i am sorry. i AM wrong. WITH the rest of us... there's just this WALL there... it's between us, as a people, and God. it's monolithic disobedience. it's rampant materialism. it's softsoaping the call of the gospel to disciple and follower alike. it's US!

    I'm a pig in a thousand ways. get to know me and it gets worse before it gets better. but this isn't about ME... it's also not about the good things we do... that the "they" of us do, when we use truth to divide (i'm not doing that)...

    it's about the man, Christ Jesus. It's about what He said, did, and does. It's about His radical commands to love and life lives of godliness and purity, in LOVE... It's about being rescued. It's about heaven and earth. It's about losing it all, or being radically willing to. It's about living for the Above, while still down here--the upward calling...

    i struggle. i need help. it's so hard to live stretching between what Jesus said so clearly and intensely, and...

    ...and US!!!!!

    US!!!!!!!

    between Jesus and Me, and YOU! And US!

    I'm sorry that I hamburger love all over again as I try to thrash out a call to the body to take it all more seriously. I know that my post is wrong. that i am wrong. yet i also know that this post was true. that there is a truth in it that transcends the "wrongness of me".

    I am the Body. We are the body. and we have some serious work to do on the Gospel, and how we live it out. it's about Jesus. and we're too much about ourselves--what we want, what we have, what we can do... all that is passing away...

    i hope we awaken to LOVE. God knows I yearn to, and I can't get there without YOU. I'm not a me, in Christ. I'm more than a "me". I'm part of an "us".

    I pray we awaken to the call of LOVE...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm going to morph that comment into my next post...

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yeah. and i take it back. my post wasn't wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. x church IS love. i've been there. i've felt it. i've grown in it. i've shared it. maybe it's not for everyone, but God had a place for me there and revealed Himself to me there much more than anywhere i had been before. God IS working there.

    ReplyDelete