Thursday, May 11, 2006

Theology Hangover

Last night was prayer night. Nobody showed. Frankly, it was great. The Lord ministered to me in that injection of unexpected time--time to think--time to sit with Zach and talk big theology--time to listen to a sermon from another guy--time to read scripture--time to get my kids to bed early and retire by 11.

Zach C. and I explored Arminianism versus Calvinism, last night--Free Will versus Determinism... we fall more on the Arminian side... Led to a reading of Wesley's history and some of one of his sermons that I've been reading... We talked about Semi-Pelagianism, and Augustinianism, and a bunch of other stuff... I have a theology hangover.

We didn't smoke pipes, though. and there was no beer. I'm glad for that. Smoking a pipe is something I have enjoyed a lot, but for months, I've had limited interest. I never smoked one much, but I'm just not interested. I ought to give it another shot, since Judy's out of town and won't have to bear the stink, but maybe not. aaaaah, freedom. thanks be that I don't have an addiction to nicotine. that alone gives me pause about the pipe... not alone, i also don't like to do it because it makes judy sad. She rightly abhors nicotine use of any kind. I'm more moderate in considering the pipe, but she's right as rain. i love judy. she's wise and gentle. she always lets me live out my heart, but always lets me know her mind. she is the absolute best example of a godly wife that I know. No kidding. There's nothing she does that's not soaked in love for me and the boys... and the church of Christ.

The last time I smoked pipes, besides a couple times in Ireland, was when our dear friend Chris Challis was with us. We sat around the big table with him and smoked pipes, had a guiness, and talked about Jesus' love for us... we had checked and checked with Chris about the guiness (asked him his history with alcohol and drugs and whether or not he might be hurt by its use at mealtimes), and he didn't even want one, and assured us that he was not affected by foodlike use of alcoholic beverages. Turns out he was right. It wasn't until his best friend and fellow cracky died of a methadone overdose, that he gave in to a serious cocaine addiction that lay dormant in him for years (at least that's the take on it i get from his close friend)... So that was the last time i really ENJOYED the pipe.

That's when we learned that pipe smoke doesn't stick. the house is not stunk up by it like by ciggs. the smoke is large particle, low fume, low temp smoke, from a pipe. No paper. No burn enhancing chems... all natural-indian-style tobacco smoke... I think I'll burn a bowl tomorrow at Chris' funeral... I think I really miss him and haven't let that up, yet.

So table theology has been really good. bringing us to our knees in humility before God, asking Him to grant out of His mercy and grace, that we may be faithful and true to Him-the only one who is ever either of those things... We realize that our standing in mercy and grace is through our strong confidence of faith in the finished work of christ on the cross. We knoow that it is the gift of God that our hearts ever awoke to him, as well. We are amazed at grace, as we discover to greater and greater measure how incredibly sinful we have been. We rejoice in His love, as the Spirit continues to reveal to us the things freely given to us in Christ.

In our community, beer and wine are sometimes consumed. It is always as FOOD, with food. There is no maximum, but everyone never drinks more than two beers, and we don't keep drinking after the food is gone, unless it's a "cold one" as a snack in itself... We really watch to make sure that we don't stumble anyone, and we hope we haven't/never do. drunkenness is seen as very sinful in Scripture. But an even greater sin is emboldening someone to sin against their conscience. That's a tricky one.
Romans 14
1 Cor 8
talk extensively about that...

In Rom. 14 it says not to let anyone speak ill of what is good... "do not let your good be slandered". We don't ever want to descend into criticism of each other over stuff like a couple beers or a glass of wine. We must not. Paul recommends wine to Timothy. Drunkenness is spoken clearly against.

but we pray our freedom never hurt you, or anyone of us. Let's glorify God in our bodies! gtg. Tim's bus didn't come and I need to go take him in... Seth and I'll get mcD's for breakfast maybe...

1 comment:

  1. we fall more on the Arminian side...

    "We are all born Arminians, by God's Good Grace and Favor, we become Reformed."
    Jokes aside, it was Calvinism that really (for the first time in my life) poped my eyes wide-open to the amazing grace of God.
    For if I am totally depraved, dead in my sins (Eph2) and my free will was under full control of the god of the dead...
    That's what was so amazing to me about God's Grace... the unmeritied favor of God alone.
    I guess because my faith is still unperfected; and so much of it is in my head and not enough in my heart (yet) that I needed a theological framework to really wrap my mind around grace. maybe... I don't know.
    Still, as long as you don't go full-pelagianism; I really don't think the free-will vs. determinism is a good reason to schism the fellowship. Really, though I will argue forceably for Reformed Theology, i still think it's wrong, it's just less wrong (in my mind) than Remonstrant.
    And wether it's Sola Christus or "nonsola Christus + a little help from man" that does not distract one iota from the two greatest commands.
    It's really just how you view 2 things:
    1. The mechanics of salvation
    2. why you obey

    Some a pipe, drink a beer.
    Just don't get addicted, and don't get drunk.
    And don't make life hard for someone else.
    Enjoy.
    But Guniess? Motor oil?
    Samual Adams, man.

    -jjs

    ReplyDelete