Friday, May 12, 2006

Theology on Tap

Last Night, I had the opportunity to attend THEOLOGY ON TAP, a local Roman Catholic engagement at a sports bar just across the river... It was packed, relaxed, jovial, convivial... Pipes blazed, beards were stroked 'neath furrowed brow, Guiness disappeared... John Lyendecker--Youth Minister at Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish in Anderson--was my guide there... At TOT I saw a whole host of folks: Priests, non-priests, Dominican Friars (they wear white robes and have COOL strings of beads) and a lot of just plain curious and friendly folks... The Topic: THE DAVINCI CODE!!!!!!! dun-dun-dun!!! Honestly, I wasn't that excited about the topic, but the brother who handled it did a good job, exposing the real scandal: that Christian Americans don't read anymore! That we don't study church history, aren't taught it, don't know how important it is... In fact, I did a little thinking about it and realized that the last time I studied chruch history was in college. Not a single church course on it, ever offered, even before that.....
I hope we all get real into early church history together... last tuesday night was great for that. i hope all you guys come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment