Thursday, May 4, 2006

Making a mess of a snake feeding


I inadvertantly gave my kids a lesson in the brokenness of creation, tragedy, death, and my own, sometimes boundless folly, yesterday, trying to feed Danielmatt and Christine's snake, Lucy.
Seth and I had gotten two feeder mice at the pet store--she only eats live, and it's good for her to exercise. That may have developed into a bad practise--getting feeder mice with Seth. He is starting to love the mice, which pains me because I am also startign to love the mice... Seth is so incredibly dear. His little heart... O Lord, strength...
So we got two mice, came home, and went up to feed Lucy. she downed the first one in classic style, constricting it quickly and wrapping around it very well...
but the second was larger and more active. She grabbed it low, not by the face like she usually does. There it was, with it's reaf half being constricted, sticking straight up like a little man, with it's arms out to the sides... so sad!!!! our hearts were breaking. I was getting ready to stick to turtles! I took in the snake because she hadn't eaten in months, and I'm good with reptile habitat and feeding.

Then the unthinkable happened: the mouse started to GNAW at Lucy's side, putting in the teeth on her. I did what I could. I knew just what needed to happen. You see, if a snake is bitten, it's likely that infection will set in, especially a rodent bite, and I had to keep Lucy from dying slowly like that. Soooo...
I "pinshot" the mouse on the forehead--really hard.
Complely stunned, the mouse went stock still, no longer gnawing into the snake. there was no damage yet to Lucy, but the mouse was still living, and coming to... in a few seconds, the mouse revived, now seemingly one-eyed (did I knock its eye out? God forgive me--aaron thinks i did--i'm a monster), and set itself to chewing weakly into the snake.
Finally, Lucy got down to business, rolled over, looping around the mouse's torso and finishing the job without suffering any injury...

3 comments:

  1. Ijust happened to be enjoying a sandwich when i began to read this...needless to say the joy ended. I was really blessed by our conversation yesterday, as I always am. I look forward to continuing to walk with you through all that is coming. Peace...

    ReplyDelete